Understanding Taxation for Minors and Housewives in Pakistan

Taxation laws can be complex, and it’s important to understand how they apply to different groups of people. In Pakistan, minors and housewives are two groups that require special consideration when it comes to taxation. In this article, we will explore the tax laws that apply to minors and housewives in Pakistan and provide tips on how to ensure compliance with these laws.

Taxation for Minors in Pakistan:

As mentioned earlier, any person under the age of 18 is considered a minor in Pakistan. Income earned by minors is not taxed separately, but is rather taxed as a part of their parent’s income. According to Section 91 of the Income Tax Ordinance 2001, any income earned by a minor child under the head “Income from Business” is chargeable to tax as the income of the parent with the highest taxable income for that year. However, if the minor has any income from inheritance, it is not taxable. Similarly, assets held in the name of the minor are represented as such.

Parents are responsible for ensuring that their child’s income is accurately declared in their tax return. This can be a challenging task, especially if the child has earned income from multiple sources. Therefore, it is recommended that parents keep detailed records of their child’s income and expenses to ensure accurate reporting.

Taxation for Housewives in Pakistan:

In Pakistan, housewives are not taxed separately. If a housewife has no National Tax Number (NTN), she will declare her assets in the return of her spouse. Any property or assets gifted to the housewife will be taxed in the hands of the giver, while joint ownership of bank accounts or property will be shown in the spouse’s return.

If the housewife has an active NTN, she will need to file her own tax return and declare her assets accordingly. Any money received by the housewife, including remittances sent by her husband, should be declared in her wealth statement. However, such income will be taxed on her husband’s return.

If a spouse receives support payments under an agreement to live apart, such payments will be exempt from tax under the Income Tax Ordinance 2001.

Tips for Ensuring Compliance:

To ensure compliance with tax laws for minors and housewives in Pakistan, the following tips should be kept in mind:

  1. Keep accurate records of all income and expenses for minors and housewives.
  2. Declare all assets in the appropriate tax returns.
  3. If a housewife has an active NTN, file a separate tax return for her.
  4. Take advantage of exemptions available for support payments under agreements to live apart.
  5. Seek the advice of a tax professional if you have any doubts or questions about tax laws for minors and housewives in Pakistan.


Taxation laws for minors and housewives in Pakistan can be complex, but by understanding the rules and following the tips outlined in this article, compliance can be achieved. Accurate reporting of income and assets is essential, and seeking the advice of a tax professional can be helpful in ensuring compliance. By taking the necessary steps, minors and housewives can fulfill their tax obligations and contribute to the development of Pakistan’s economy.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *