FBR to Freeze Bank Accounts of Non Filers via Amended Finance Bill 2024

The Pakistani government is proposing stricter measures to encourage tax compliance through the amended Finance Bill 2024. Here’s a breakdown of the key proposals:

  • Frozen Bank Accounts for Non-Filers: The government may block bank accounts of individuals who haven’t filed tax returns. This measure aims to incentivize them to register and fulfill their tax obligations. Where non-filers are not responding to notices, the government may consider a proposal to block bank accounts of non-filers till they appear on the Active Taxpayers List (ATL).
  • Fixed Sales Tax on Mobile Phones: The current 18% sales tax on imported mobile phones might be replaced with a fixed amount based on the brand. This could simplify the tax structure for mobile phone imports.

Additional Measures :

  • Travel Restrictions: Travel restrictions for non-filers.
  • Increased Tax on Bank Profits: Non-filers to face a 35% tax on bank profits, a significant increase from current rates.
  • Property Purchase Taxes: Up to 20% tax on property purchases for non-filers could be introduced.
  • Mobile Phone Card Taxes: Taxes as high as 75% on mobile phone top-up cards for non-filers are also a potential consideration.

What This Means:

The proposed measures, if implemented, would significantly impact individuals who haven’t filed tax returns. It’s crucial to stay updated on the final amendments to the Finance Bill 2024.


  • File Your Taxes: Ensure you are registered as a taxpayer and file your tax returns to avoid any potential penalties or restrictions.
  • Consult a Tax Professional: Consider seeking guidance from a qualified tax advisor to understand your specific tax obligations and navigate the changing regulations.
  • Stay Informed: Follow official government channels or credible news sources for updates on the final version of the Finance Bill 2024.


This article is based on available information and may not reflect the final amendments to the Finance Bill 2024. It’s recommended to consult the official government websites or a tax professional for the latest details.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *